Thursday, February 22, 2007

Home Again

I've been away for a very long time. Although there were pockets of time when I was home, they were short and always spent preparing to go on the road again. Most of the places I visited were for work and I enjoyed them a lot. One great exception was the Sundance Film festival. I hated it, but even there there was something good to do. I co-produced a video with my colleague, Karina Longworth, about the Iraq documentary "No End In Sight." You can find all of my videos on http://www.netscape.com/member/alexia/activity/videos. Every video I do for Netscape ends up here. Some I'm not so proud of and some I can't stop watching... :)

New Orleans, my most recent trip, was an incredibly rewarding experience. I saw a lot of the destruction wrought by Hurricane Katrina, and met a lot of locals affected. truly, though, everyone in New Orleans was affected, even if they didn't lose anything personal, they lost a lot of the city, and for New Orleanians, that's almost worse than losing your house. Check the above URL regularly for videos from my trip there as well as more from the India trip. Awesome, amazing stuff.

Overall, my three months of travel have been so eye-opening to me societally, certainly, but also personally. I've seen things I never imagined, and experienced things I couldn't prepare for. Now it's good to be home where I can rest and look out the window at the lake and be grateful about where and how I live.

Everyone should visit Kolkata. And everyone should visit New Orleans. But, truly, everyone should visit somewhere new whenever they get the chance. It's the only way we're going to learn about each other so we can grow and evolve.

"Difficulty shared is difficulty halved, Joy shared is Joy doubled." -Chinese proverb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home